Advice for Seniors

with additional advice from West seniors

Piper Eggener, Staff Writer

As seniors, our days at Lincoln-Way West are quickly coming to an end. The past four years have flown by, and change is finally upon us. Individually, we have all endured so much and grown as individuals during our time here; however, it is now time to move on and accept that the next chapter of our lives is beginning. Even though we will all be going our separate ways, there is a plethora of advice that we should all keep with us as we continue our own journeys.

Let go. Be cognizant of the fact that things are changing. Even if you don’t feel ready, it is happening. So, try to be okay with the shifts that are to come. Some friendships will fade, others will grow stronger despite the increasing distance. It’s important to accept that some relationships will simply change along the way. Everything happens for a reason. In order to create the best experience for yourself, live in the present and let go of the past if it no longer serves you.

Make the changes. With each ending, comes a new beginning. Now is the time to be making any changes you have been hesitant in making. Whether it be a change to your personality, lifestyle, or physical appearance, utilize this opportunity for a fresh start. Let any fear or anxiety that once deterred these changes disappear. We are all about to be entering a new environment, whether that be a university, workforce, etc., so this the perfect time to change the parts of your image you have always wanted to.

Branch out and make new friends. Making new friends does not mean you are betraying your old friends. Don’t be afraid to reach out, especially on a college campus, because everyone is in the same situation. Be confident and introduce yourself to new people, even if it is out of your comfort zone. With all the sudden changes that we are about to experience, it’s better to not go through them alone. Reach out and form new relationships. You have nothing to lose from branching out and making new friends.

Stay focused. Prioritize anything that will ultimately contribute to bettering yourself and your future. As we take this next step after graduation, it’s important to have an end goal in. mind. Things will become difficult at times but having a final goal to think of as a reason to keep pushing forward makes the journey easier. Additionally, don’t cling to toxic habits or relationships that deter you from reaching your goals. If you ever feel your goal shifting out of focus, ask yourself what you are pouring your energy into. Is your focus where it needs to be? What have you been prioritizing and how does that compare to what you should be prioritizing? These are the questions we must reflect on as we take these next steps on our own. You are in control of your future. Stay focused on it.

Don’t be afraid to get help. If you are attending college after graduation or living on your own in some capacity for the first time, it can be overwhelming. Not having the extra help

or support of family that we have grown accustomed to is bound to be difficult. Therefore, it’s vital that you take time to prioritize your mental health. Reflect on your emotions and how you are treating yourself every day. If you need extra help and support, don’t be embarrassed to reach out. Therapy is an extremely beneficial option for those who are seeking support, looking for new coping mechanisms, or just need someone to talk to about their mental state. Even on campus, most colleges offer counselors and psychologists on campus for students to confide in. Often, people underestimate how important it is to take care of their mental and emotional health. Please don’t be afraid to get help when you need it.

Remember your plan is yours. Never let anyone tell you your plan for your future isn’t valid. We all have our own perception of what the ideal life after high school consists of. No one is chasing the exact same goal. Some are looking for a fresh start, some have had their plan mapped out since grade school, some have undecided majors, some are attending junior college, some are going into the trades, others are taking a gap year. No matter what your specific plan is, it is yours. So, never let anyone doubt your decision for your future. Trust yourself. You know what is best for you. Remember that as long as you are confident in yourself and your abilities, you will succeed.

Hopefully, everyone finds this advice to be useful as we begin to navigate life outside of Lincoln-Way West. I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey. If there’s one thing I, personally, have learned from my years at West: you possess the power to choose to make this experience great or not. The choice is yours.