Alumnus Corner: Bobby Ryan

LWW Class of 2021

Bobby Ryan

My name is Bobby Ryan. I graduated from West in 2021 as class president, among other positions. I am currently a political science major at the University of Alabama. I am in a fraternity and am looking to join the Mock Trial club this upcoming fall. I am on a Pre-Law track, as I hope to become a lawyer. I also plan on joining the student government here at Alabama.

Transitioning from West to the University of Alabama has certainly taught me to take risks. In high school I was in many clubs and positions that I am proud of, such as Class President, NHS officer, and track/cross country captain. However, I do not let my high school accomplishments define me in college, as there are hundreds of former class presidents and captains at Alabama. At first, I often felt dwarfed because I have never been in such a large school, but I have learned that taking risks is the best way to stand out. Classes are much harder in college than high school, and a risk that I took to stand out was getting to know my professors.

High school is only four years of your life–enjoy it while you can. I thought it was so cheesy when people told me how fast high school flies by, but they were right. Make sure to make friends with anyone you can: students, teachers, even Barb. My roommates are all from New Lenox, and I wouldn’t have had the experience I’ve had this year without them. Among us, we are all grateful for the time we had in high school and are happy with what we have done in college. However, do not let high school define you, as there is still plenty of time left in our lives than to let four years define you.

Personally, I believe that high school is a time to discover and to pursue your interests. Whether you are a freshman reading this or a second semester senior, use your time at West to discover your interests. When I was a freshman, I had no clue what I wanted to study in college. Thanks to great teachers, like Mr. Cupp, I found what my passion is. Now, I am a freshman studying political science hoping to go to law school after I complete my undergraduate. Thanks to other great teachers like Mrs. Hilbert, Mr. Willis, and Mr. DeLuca, I have learned to take risks with my ideas and not to get discouraged by others.  It’s okay to fail. I have been turned down from clubs at Alabama, and, at times, I didn’t get a grade that I wanted. It felt like the world was going to end. But looking back months later I have realized how insignificant these moments were. Yes, grades are important, but use these lessons to learn. After all, college is polishing life skills for the post-graduation world.

Now, I am coming into my own and I have found my passion. I have found a great group of friends, and I continue to work as hard as I can in college.