10 Questions with Mrs. Orlowski

What is your favorite thing about winter? ​
I do really love the holidays and all the traditions involved, but once they are over, I’m immediately ready for spring since I’m not a fan of cold weather.

What made you want to become a guidance counselor? What do you enjoy about the job?
​I have always wanted a career where I could help others. I considered psychology, community counseling, and social work, but I found school counseling to be such a great balance between personal/social, college/career, and academic. I love working with high school students, especially having the same students on my caseload for four years, so I can see them grow.

If you could live a day inside the world of a novel, television show, or movie, what fiction would you live for a day and why?
I would be Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones, so I could ride a dragon for an entire day. But I would have to be season 5 and 6 Daenerys before her character took a turn in season 7.

If you could be anything besides a guidance counselor, what career would you want to pursue and why? 
​I would want to be an event planner. I love hosting holidays at my house and planning all kinds of get togethers. This year I am already hosting Thanksgiving, a holiday party, and a wedding shower. In my family and friend groups, I am usually the one making all the arrangements and communicating everything. Once one party or vacation is over, I immediately start thinking about the next one to plan.

If someone could go back in time and open your high school locker, what would they find?
​Sooooo many pictures….and a mirror

What was your first job? What was it like?
​I worked the counter at Rising Sun in Frankfort my sophomore and junior years. At the time minimum wage was $4.15, but they paid me $5.50, so I thought I was rich. The owners were always very sweet to me, and I was also able to take home a free meal after every shift, which was a bonus.

What is something that was popular when you were in high school that you thought was cool at the time but now just seems goofy? ​
Me ?

If you could have one song play every time you entered a room, what song would play, and why?
“Sweet Emotion” by Aerosmith–The intro to that song is simply amazing and always puts me in a great mood.

What are you looking forward to doing over winter break? ​
My parents recently retired to South Carolina, so my husband, two daughters, and I are now making it an annual tradition to visit them for winter break.

If you could go back and give advice to your high school self, what would you tell her? ​
Be confident in who you are and do not let the opinion of others shape you. You will never please everyone, and if at the end of the day you are comfortable with your actions, then that’s all that matters.