Let’s Have a Cup of Cheer

interview with senior cheerleader Kalei Belt

Brogan Hayes

What do you think are the most important things that make a team successful?

The most important things that make a team successful are hard work, dedication, and trusting each other.

Why do you feel that cheerleaders are an important part of the athletic program? 

I feel that cheerleaders are an important part in the athletic program because they help cheer on other sports while competing in their own sport.

How do you promote positive relationships within the cheer squad?

To promote positive relationships on the team, we cheer each other on, give positive feedback, and work together.

What are three characteristics you feel are the most important for cheerleaders to possess?

Three characteristics that are important in a cheerleader are confidence, hard work, and a positive attitude.

How can cheerleaders best represent their school and student body?

Cheerleaders represent the school by providing sportsmanship towards our teams and other teams. They also represent the student body by having positive attitudes and cheering everyone on.

What was something the cheerleaders did last year that was effective in competitions?

Something the cheerleaders did last year that was effective for competitions was having team bonding to make the team closer and being there for everyone.

Why is it important for cheerleaders to be on time and to attend practice every day?

It is important for cheerleaders to be on time and at practice every day because without the whole team there others won’t be able to practice their stunts. With cheerleading being a team sport, it is hard to stunt and do the routine without everyone there. It is important to be on time because we must roll out mats and stretch before practice.

How has COVID-19 changed the way you practice and perform this year?

Covid-19 has affected our season because it is on hold right now. When we were able to practice, we had to wear masks and stay six feet apart. We haven’t been able to stunt or do baskets, so it makes practice more unusual.

What are you most proud of as a cheerleader? Why?

As a cheerleader, I am most proud of seeing my teammates grow and the ability to create bonds with people from different backgrounds, even though we all have the same goals at the end of the season.

Why is it important for a cheerleader to be a good role model for their peers and younger students?

It is important for a cheerleader to be a role model to younger athletes because it shows them what high school cheer is like and makes them want to try it out for themselves.

What are your goals for cheer in the future?

My goal for the future with cheerleading is to cheer in college.