Freshmen: This One’s For You!

Avery Kline

Congratulations on making it through the first semester at Lincoln-Way West! As we move into the second semester, I have some helpful tips to help you succeed once again during the second half of the school year.  

First, you should reassess the good and the bad strategies you used during the first semester. If there were some grades you were not satisfied with, then look back to what you did that you could change. I think it’s safe to say that we have all done this before, but was there too much screen time or maybe leaving too many assignments until the last minute? On the other hand, maybe you studied a few nights in advance and aced a test. This reflection will help you learn what makes you stronger and will carry on into the second semester. 

Second, I recommend you should clean out your folders. You should go through papers and store the ones you do not necessarily need for the second semester in another folder or a binder. Keep this folder at home until the end of the year. If you need a paper, you will have it, but this will allow you to start fresh again and not have to rummage through older papers that are likely not needed in your classes during the second semester.

Third, you should also clean out your backpack. Throw out crumbled papers or random things you threw in your bag you won’t use again. You can collect all your lost pencils, erasers, and highlighters and put them in one spot in your backpack.

Finally, set new goals that you want to achieve for the second semester. You can write them down on a sticky note. Once you have written them, place them in a spot that you will see daily. This will remind you what you should be striving for and not to give up.  When you complete a goal you can check it off and feel good that you were able to achieve it.

As always, don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are always people around you that want to help you out, so try your best. You can do it!